Pearl of Wisdom: Dealing with Faulty/Poor Fitting Clothes

With buying clothes online, fit is a big issue. Even when you can try something on before you buy it, after a wash or a few days of wear, a cute skirt can turn into your worst nightmare. Unfortunately, some problems can't be fixed. You can't turn a Size 6 into a Size 12, it's just not going to happen. However, depending on your skill level with a sewing machine, it's pretty easy to alter an item to have a better fit, higher quality or turn it into something new. Here are some methods I've used in the past to deal with malfunctioning clothes.....


UNFLATTERING T-SHIRTS
One of my favourite items to shop, buy and wear is the classic t-shirt. I have a tonne of band tees, plain tees and quirky tees, because they're uber comfy and easy to wear. However, I often find myself buying t-shirts that just looks weird on me. I'm too curvy to wear shirts made for men and I actually find that a lot of t-shirts have a really unflattering silhouette that makes my torso look disproportionate. The best thing you can do to a poorly fitting t-shirt is to cut it up! I really like this look, because it's a little grungy and playful. Half the tops they sell in chain stores are artfully cut up anyway, and they'll charge you $60 to make you look dishevelled! Here's some photos of all my cut-up tees:

Left-to-Right: The Maine, Devendra Banhart, The Maine, The Vaccines. 

Cut a split up the back and tie it to make it more fitted.

Cut the ribbing off the collar for a more flattering, looser fit.
I don't do any sewing, as they really don't need hems. The fabric doesn't fray and it looks fine with a raw edge. The most important thing I've learnt about the cutting process is to take it very slowly. Only cut off a little bit at a time, or you'll risk cutting too much off and ruining the top completely. Only do about a centimetre at a time when it comes to lengths, and try on the t-shirt between cuts, so you'll know when it's just right. There are loads of creative things you can try, so have a look around Pinterest, or Runway DIY!


UNFLATTERING DRESSES
This is my favourite trick to do! A lot of the time, I find that the issue with a dress is the bottom part. Too short, too tight, too long... I've bought a few pretty dresses for their colour or print, and there really could not be a more simple way to fix a dress: Turn it into a top. Just hack the bottom off. Conversely, you could turn it into a skirt, or a skirt/top combo. A dress is just a long top. Don't be afraid to get rid of that excess material! Here are a couple of ex-dresses that are now amongst my fave tees:

This was a super short dress! It's 100% silk, so it's super floaty and soft.

I'll add a hem to this, as the lining is fraying. It was originally a sari type thing, so I just lopped off the bottom!
Again, the most important part of the process is to take it super slow. Dresses tend to be made of fabric that is more prone to fraying than t-shirts, so hemming may be necessary. I haven't hemmed either of my ex-dress tees, as I quite like a raw edge, and I'm a little scared I'll ruin them with my average sewing!
If you can't change the length, due to a zipper for example, then there are still things you can do. Read on for more advice, as a dress is basically a skirt/shirt combo, and I'd rather not repeat myself!


UNFLATTERING SHIRTS/BLOUSES
After finding the massive selection of amazing blouses for under $15 on Aliexpress, I have now got a vast selection of cute shirts. They all fit me, except one that I sold on Trademe. I'm actually having regrets about selling it, as I could've turned it into a detachable collar, a la Miu Miu.
If you're having problems with the fit due to tailoring, then here are some suggestions: Move the buttons further in or out, Turn it into a crop blouse by hemming it or tying it up, Take off the sleeves, Turn it into a detachable collar or bib, Add or take out darts..... So many options! Here are some blouses I've tweaked:

Added new buttons to blue blouse. Cut off sleeves of bear blouse.
Before shot. The print is a bit overwhelming with the sleeves.


UNFLATTERING SKIRTS
Skirts are tricky. There's a whole range of potential issues you could have, and I'm just going to list some ideas for alterations and hope something works for you! Add a fringe to the bottom to make it longer or clean up a messy hem, Hem it if it's too long, Let out the hem if it's not quite right, Take it in one both sides if it's too big, Give up on it and just use the fabric for something else. Here are some skirts I've made alterations to:

Hemmed them both shorter, they were awkward lengths. The black one was a mullet skirt (-shudder-)!

I added a daisy trim to this ex-mullet chiffon skirt. It's so pretty! Check out Spotlight's selection of fringes for inspiration.

I hope this post helps with present or future troublesome clothing! Don't be afraid to get stuck into altering clothes, it's just fabric at the end of the day. Have some fun!

We'll be doing a series on buying secondhand goods later on, and one of the best tips I have for thrifting is to go into your shopping a little hopeful that you'll find something that could be beautiful with some little extra effort and love. You just have to see something in it that you think you can work with. Check out A Dress A Day for loads of examples!

Contributor: Kate, @Springerfield

0 comments :

Thank you for reading! What do you think?