Review: Black Corduroy Skater Skirt

Finding the perfect black skirt is a bit of a mission. You have to find one with a cute cut, perfect flare, flattering fit and, toughest of all, in some great fabric that just goes well with everything in your wardrobe.

This one is pretty fantastic. And it's super, super cheap


I was a bit trepedacious going into this purchase, because corduroy has little stretch, so if it was a size too small for me, it would really be too small. I got a Large, which is a UK10. As it's a skater skirt, you just need to be a 10 at the waist for it to fit well.


The skirt looks exactly like the original, which is by American Apparel and can be seen in the above photo. I took a couple of extra photos, just to prove that I actually own it and to give a bit of close-up detail.



As you can see from the product page snapshot of the skirt I bought, this skirt comes in three other colours! I'm really eager to own them all, because the collective price would be less than buying the original American Apparel one.

One small problem I do have with the skirt is visible in most photos of the original and aliexpress versions of this skirt. Because corduroy is a stiff fabric and these are circle skirts, the grain of the fabric and the hems don't quit agree with one another. There's a weird crumple at the bottom hem. Have a look at the hems of all the colours here and you'll see what I mean. It's only a very small problem, which I would expect to not exist a skirt over $50, so the issue is not with the aliexpress version, but with the design itself.


This skirt has me perplexed, because it's such a great dupe. It's exactly like the original, down to the tag. It makes a very convincing case, but I can't imagine how a real American Apparel (who claim to be "Sweatshop Free" and "Made in the USA") item ended up in my hands, having been shipped from Beijing and only costing me about $10NZ. The quality is outstanding!

Ratings
Product Quality: 5/5
Accuracy of Description: 4/5*
Similarity to Original: 5/5

*It lost a point because the measurements were not accurate at all around the waist. Aliexpress measurements are sometimes a bit iffy, so I'm glad I took a risk with this one.

Contributor: Kate, @Springerfield

0 comments :

Thank you for reading! What do you think?